On Wed, Mar 23, 2022 at 9:49 PM Keith Lofstrom <kei...@kl-ic.com> wrote:

> I use rotated monitors ("tallscreens") for my computers.
>
> How do I configure lightdm for a screen rotated right?
>
> ----
>
> I've learned how to rotate the framebuffers for grub boot
> and my mostly working Mate-Ubuntu 20.04 desktop displays.
>
> However, the login screen for mate-ubuntu uses the lightdm
> display manager, and I haven't yet figured out how to
> rotate the screen for that login page.
>
> It's not a huge problem - all I need to do (for now) is
> remember that the mouse moves sideways and jostle the
> pointer into the password box, but at some point I will
> add other users to the console login menu, or forget
> how to "think sideways".
>
> Frankly, I would prefer to log in from the same text
> screen as boot, THEN have a LOGIN SCRIPT fire up Mate
> instead of a GUI greeter, but I don't know how to make
> that happen either.

Since the switch over to systemd the process is much different, but
here are the instructions for setting things up to boot into console
mode
https://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2020/05/boot-ubuntu-20-04-command-console/

and once in console mode here are the instructions for starting the gui
https://linuxconfig.org/start-gui-from-command-line-on-ubuntu-20-04-focal-fossa

I have not tested those steps, but they look like the right approach.

Bill