On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 08:45:24PM -0400, TomasK wrote:
> This maybe not concern of yours - but - the login screen does more than
> starting DE and logging you on.
>
> The first thing you may notice - your wallet/key-ring is not unlocked
> at login.

I presume "DE" = Desktop Environment.

I am transitioning from older Redhat-derived distros to
Mate-Ubuntu.  I haven't yet encountered a wallet/key-ring
for the mate-terminal and mostly-text tools that I use,
but I can be clueless about such things.

Please suggest documents or web-pages describing why a
shared wallet or key-ring is necessary, and more secure
than other password management means.  I've heard those
buzzwords, but there is nothing about them in my current
working references:

  Debian Administrator's Handbook
  Ubuntu Linux Bible
  Mastering Ubuntu Server

If I must learn this stuff eventually, I should do so
before I get too old to learn.  But if I can accomplish
wallet/key-ring with text-based tools, I vastly prefer
that to a GUI with a meaningless splash screen.

Especially since I can sorta-kinda read the C code for
ascii-based tools (it's like puzzling out Spanish or
German), but graphic environment code (a zillion module
calls) seems incomprehensible (like zillion-character
Chinese).  If I can't read it, I don't trust it.

Keith

P.S. Is a Rottweiler dog collar a secure key-ring?

--
Keith Lofstrom          kei...@keithl.com