On Wed, 13 Apr 2022, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

After decades of Redhat/CentOS (and recent unwelcome IBM
"stream" ephemeralizations, opposite of LTS) I am
transitioning my systems to Mate-Ubuntu LTS.

----

Questions for you folks with years of Ubuntu experience:

1) How easy/fraught is a dist-upgrade, say 16.04 to 20.04?

It's pretty easy, and I've never had a machine fail from a dist upgrade. That said, once you've gone from 16.04 to 20.04 you will find yourself dealing with unexpected problems and dead-ends. I usually allow myself one major upgrade before a full reinstallation.

2) Should I wait for 22.04.1 (estimated 3+ months from
now) before playing with 22.04 Jammy?

I've got a jammy VM running and it's in pretty good shape. I've noticed at least one package on which I rely, bacula, hasn't yet made its way to jammy, but I suspect it will before the final release.

If I had a system that was currently working, I'd wait until 22.04.0 was released and use it rather than, say, installing 20.04.x and then upgrade.

If you've got multiple filesystems (rather than just a big root partition), you might consider using ZFS for them. The Ubuntu ZFS implementation has for me been very stable, and I find it far more useful than LVM + ext/xfs.

These days, I use Ubuntu strictly on servers, so my experience of desktop Ubuntu is no longer relevant. But I think I read that jammy will complete the move to Wayland, away from X11. You may need to research how or if that will impact you.

--
Paul Heinlein
heinl...@madboa.com