If you don’t have a lot of weird stuff installed, the upgrades should be
painless, and are usually more painless if you do them relatively soon,
late enough for the kinks to be found, but not long enough for stuff to get
too old, that’s when the real issues come up, often a case of key servers
and whatnot.  Of some relevance may be Rolling Rhino coming up, and another
alternative that has kept my 20 year old Lenovo x220 chugging along, is
plain old vanilla Arch Linux, with its rolling release.