On Thu, Sep 15, 2022 at 03:01:45PM -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
> My locale is set to LANG=en_US.UTF-8. I write primarily in text-based
> applications such as emacs and alpine, and I want to learn how to enter
> accented characters so I can type, for example, Résumé rather than Resume.

My approach is a little different, and does not rely as
much on my failing memory, or a compose key.

Over the years, I've built a table of special characters,
digraphs, which I use for cut-and-paste into web pages and
libreoffice documents:

http://server-sky.com/Digraph

I have a dual-screen desktop, and when I am working on a
document that needs special characters, I bring up the
document on one side and the Digraph page on the other.

This works for small bits of text, like "résumé".
However, in that particular case, I forgo the accents
if the verb and the noun are easily distinguishable by
context.  If the reader is a pompous ass, or intends
to hire one, there are many better opportunities.

Big equations require special composition languages.
I use latex for documents like scientific papers,
and libreoffice for casual stuff.

"TeX for the Impatient" by Abrams et. al. has a 17 page
index of special characters, and the ascii line noise
that produces them.  Knuth's "The TeXbook" (for the more
patient) has a 25 page index.

Then there are Arabic, Hindi, and Chinese ... those may be
essential for under-30's by the time they reach my age,
after the AI translation-bots develop unfriendly agendas.

Keith

--
Keith Lofstrom          kei...@keithl.com