On Thu, 15 Sep 2022 15:01:45 -0700 (PDT)
Rich Shepard <rshep...@appl-ecosys.com> dijo:

>My locale is set to LANG=en_US.UTF-8. I write primarily in text-based
>applications such as emacs and alpine, and I want to learn how to enter
>accented characters so I can type, for example, Résumé rather than
>Resume.

Others have mentioned Ctrl-Shift-u, which gives you the opportunity to
enter the Unicode value for the character you want. I need a lot of
these for linguistics work, so I made up a little table with two
columns, one for the character as it appears and its name, and another
for the Unicode hex number. I found a little message utility that pops
up my list on the screen whenever I need to see it.

But I also added the Compose key to my keyboard which is faster when
all I need are normal diacritics for things like ¡résumé! I assigned
the Windows key to be the Compose key, so to type an é I hold down the
Windows key, type an apostrophe, then type an e, and it comes out é.
The only problem with the Compose key is that setting it up disables
repeat typing.

I also added a keyboard for Polytonic Greek, which I can activate by
clicking on a little flag in my panel - the American flag changes to a
Greek flag or back again, or I can switch it with Ctrl-Shift-Alt.