On 2022-09-15 15:01, Rich Shepard wrote:
My locale is set to LANG=en_US.UTF-8. I write primarily in text-based
applications such as emacs and alpine, and I want to learn how to enter
accented characters so I can type, for example, Résumé rather than Resume.

My web searches have not been productive, probably because I'm not using the
appropriate search terms.

If there's a document I can read and use as a reference please point me to
it.

Consider changing your keyboard to "English (intl, with AltGr dead keys)" The right Alt key (as opposed to the left, not correct) gives you access to é á etc as shifted keys. As easy as getting a capital letter.

--
   Michael Rasmussen
Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity