<quote name="Nathan" date="Sat, 15 Mar 2008 at 00:37 -0600">
> Actually that makes a lot of sense.  You see Ext3 reserves (by default)
> 5% for root.  This doesn't show up with df.  This is so that if a user
> runs the space and has no more room, root is still able to log in and
> take care of the problem.  It will also allow daemons to continue to run
> as root.  Making the system still semi usable.
>
> IIRC, it dates back to ext2 days but I could be wrong.

Hmm, is there a way to turn that off? I really don't care if things run
out of space miserably, there's nothing critical, and mythtv is good at
keeping space open anyway. And who came up with 5% anyway? If your drive
is too small, 5% may not be enough, if it's really large, then 5% is
huge. Shoulda just gone with some small fixed amount.

Von Fugal
--
Freedom is Popular!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com