On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 2:55 PM, Wade Preston Shearer
<wadeshearer.li...@me.com> wrote:

> I connected my Sony Blue-Ray player (via component) and the video setup
> allows for 720p or 1080i (but not 1080p, in harmony with what has been
> mentioned in this thread). Will I really get 720p/1080i over component?

My understanding is that with the ICT (image constraint token) off,
you will get 720p/1080i.  With the ICT on, you will get 520p.  Setting
the ICT for the media is up to the producer of the disc.  Discs with
ICT set are supposed to be labeled as such.

>> What exactly were you asking about 1080p?  What sort of devices do you
>> expect to be generating a 1080p signal, and what do you want to have
>> receive it?
>
> I was trying to connect a blueray player to my expensive Harmon/Kardon
> Receiver (pre-HDMI) and then on to my new Sony LCD TV.
>
> The only way to make the blueray player work (at full resolution) would be to
> connect the player directly to my tv via HDML and then run the audio from the
> player to the receiver. But, if this…
>

>> If HDMI is not used as the interconnect, not only is the video
>> downgraded to 540p, but the audio is downgraded to 2 channel stereo.

If you use HDMI for video and a digital link for audio (which is what
I'm doing) you get standard 5.1 digital audio (not the super-fancy
uncompressed 7.1 audio, though).  I've got a post-HDMI Harmon/Kardon
receiver, but something went wonky with the HDMI switcher, so I don't
have video going through it anymore.

In fact, from my research the ICT isn't supposed to cause audio
downgrade.  There's also a Digital Only token, which completely shuts
off analog output, but I don't think anyone's planning on using that.

  --Levi