Woah Nellie! You may want to hold on to some of these horses here...

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 9:57 AM, Eric Jacobs <e...@chomp.us> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 9:47 AM, Grant Shipley <gship...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Recruiters normally get paid a % of your hourly wage.  So, they are
> > interested in a higher salary and longer term contracts.
> >

> They get a % of my hourly wage? This is sounding more and more sketchy.

snip

> Well I'm currently employed, but looking for something better. I'm not in a
> hurry by any means. I think I'm going to skip the recruiter for now. Thanks
> for the advice.
>
> I have to deal with recruiters all day long every day.  (/snark)

A recruiter is nothing more than an entry into a job you otherwise would
have to land on your own. You research the company, you get access to the
hiring manager, you get through all the red-tape, you get interviews
scheduled, you get through 2nd, 3rd round interviews with little/no coaching
on what the hiring manager wants from you, you get to negotiate your own
salary with no insight into the corporate budget other than what you can eek
from the hiring manager anyway.

And, unless this company is working in a shoe closet, there is someone,
somewhere in that company, with the RECRUITER role who will, if anything
else, rubber stamp your resume anyway (or did before you ever got a call
from the hiring manager).

Look, I know this is the LINUX list, and you guys are all awesome at DIY
projects of all kinds be it operating systems, building a trebuchet (or
other various siege engines of choice), to interstellar transportation
devices, to getting your next job....

YOU CAN DO THIS YOURSELF But a Recruiter's JOB is to smooth that transaction
for companies (and hence for you) as much as possible.  Third party
recruiters, yes, get paid a fee of one kind or another to place you... but
generally speaking, the company they are working for has already contracted
with them and will likely hire from them if you interview with them or not.

Like using a realtor to buy a house
Like hiring a plumber to fix your sink
Like getting a coach/trainer to help you with a fitness program

All of these things can be done on your own, but you can leverage a GOOD
RECRUITER's excellence to help you, if you stay savvy, pay attention and
keep your eyes open... they will find you excellent jobs.

And, as some of the ppl on this list can attest, once you are at a Sr level
of one kind or another, you will find this game changes dramatically.  You
will be so highly demanded, the recruiters you are willing to work with
(your agent, if you will) will do ALL the due-diligence for you to ensure
the best company match at the highest total compensation at the best
benefits, etc. for your family, and represent you so well, all you need to
do is literally, show up and start collecting the checks.

Sure, YMMV, but stay savvy, ask questions and keep your eyes open.  Here's a
few hints:

KEYS:
-Ask the recruiter who they are working with. If they are internal to the
company (full time or contract) or a 3rd party recruiter (aka: agency,
contingent or commissioned)
-If external:
-- They may not be willing to share the company name if they are an external
recruiter. Reply with, "fine, but I know a lot of people at a lot of
companies and I don't want my name spread around without my permission.
Before you can present me, I must know your client name and give you my
permission. I will not allow you to represent me without my permission. OK?"
-- Ask how many times they have placed other people with this client -- are
they brand new to the client or have they worked with them for a long time?
This will help you gague how strong their relationship is with them (which
means how much THEY can influence the client to hire YOU).
-- If you still have questions about how solid the relationship is with the
client, ask if there is an "account manager" with the client that you can
talk to... they will know the most about the client (and also will be
commissioned if you get placed)

If they are an internal recruiter, those other questions are moot, and
(while it still happens) 90%+ of the time, they are employed at a salary and
won't receive a single penny of commission or bonus if they place you.  They
are busy too, with likely 25 or 50 other jobs they're trying to fill today,
too, so don't waste their time.

Agency TECHNICAL Recruiters I can recommend in Utah:
Brian Gephardt at PDS Inc (www.pdsinc.com) 801-541-4972
Matt at Apremis
Anyone at Smith Johnson
Consultnet
TekSystems (ok)

Also, you may want to reach out to the list and ask if anyone out there
knows a recruiting or hiring contact at SUCH-AND-SUCH company. Heck, we
likely do. And may even tell you who to talk to directly.

--
Robert Merrill
Sr. Technical Recruiter (internal), Novell