On Monday, June 10, 2013 03:51:15 PM Joshua Marsh wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 3:33 PM, Charles Curley <
>
> charlescur...@charlescurley.com> wrote:
> > * Use the hypothesis to make some predictions which can be falsified.
> >
> >   Once you introduce the possibility of falsification, you have a
> >   theory.
> >
> > * Do the experiments and see if any of them falsify the theory.
>
> You have crafted these two points very carefully to suit your position. :)

Interesting. I agree with what Charles said, my only concern is the scientist
who crafts the
experiment to prove his hypothesis in a particular situation.

Example:

I believe that if I close my eyes and I cannot see something, then it doesn't
exist. I can see and
hear my children playing in the background. When I close my eyes I cannot see
them, but I can
still hear them, so they exist still in theory. But if I go to a quite dark
room where I can no
longer hear my children, when I shut my eyes, do they still exist?

Obviously, this is a stupid example, but the point is I can craft an experiment
to prove my
children do not exist.

As a software developer I create hypothesis all day long, then write tests to
prove it works or it
doesn't. Many times, I write tests to validate code in a particular use case,
and I say Hoorah,
this code works flawlessly. Does it in fact work flawlessly? Or only in that
particular case?

Hopefully you see my point. When a scientist has a bias he can prove anything
he wants to.

Nathan