On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 6:33 PM, Sasha Pachev <sa...@asksasha.com> wrote:
> Because he lived in a society that as a whole has rejected the idea of God-
> given moral compass and tried to invent its own.

It is disingenuous to assert that everyone who struggles with
questions of ethics in the absence of a divine command will come to
the same conclusions that the Soviet Union did.

> If you reject God, how do you know that what you believe is right is really
> right?

You can't.  Then again, you can't know that if you accept the divine
command theory, either.

> If there is no good or evil, then no matter what happens - pain, hunger,
> addiction, or loss of life - is just another thing, neither good nor bad.

Well, if you want to be a nihilist, then I suppose you might come to
that conclusion.  But if you're proposing that there are only two
options - religion and nihilism - then you're either missing out on
several centuries of philosophical thought or you're deliberately
creating a false dichotomy.

> You may think this train of thought is crazy, but I am speaking from the
> perspective of someone who actually has lived in a society that has suffered
> severe mass deception and who has had to question every value he's been
> taught from birth to figure out what was wrong and what was right.

I had the same experience.  I was raised Mormon.

-Dan