On 12/04/2013 11:59 PM, Dan Egli wrote:
> Never heard of Mint before. What's good/bad about that one? :)
>
> That's the whole reason I started this thread, so I could learn about the
> less common distributions, and what makes them good or bad. :)

Mint isn't less common.  It's probably one of the fastest growing
distros in terms of popularity.  Though in some respects it's not that
interesting, since it is directly based on Ubuntu, with a few minty
features added (which you can read about on their web site).  Personally
I don't use much of the minty add-ons.  I used mint on my laptop solely
because it was the first distro to support the Mate Desktop environment.
 And Mint is probably best known now for the Cinnamon Desktop, a modern,
GTK3-based traditional interface.  Used to be based on Gnome 3 core
libraries, but I think they are going their own way now.

Mint seems to be gaining in popularity because 1) it doesn't have Unity,
and 2) it gives other desktop environments like LXDE, XFCE, and Mate
more first-class attention (KDE used to be supported, but that's now
forked off into its own distro, SolidXK.

Another distro that's been getting a lot of attention lately (but I
frankly don't understand why) is Elementary OS.  Seems to be debian or
ubuntu based, with a pretty theme that's vaguely Mac-esque, and a hyped
but simplistic app called "Geary."