On 01/24/2014 04:43 AM, Dan Egli wrote:
>> There can be multiple volumes and each password simply unlocks a different
>> volume. But it's not the same blocks being used to store different data.
>
> This is exactly what I figured. Still,  it was worth asking. :)

I always thought that truecrypt offered volumes within volumes, so that
when the bad guys demand your password (because they can clearly see
that you have the tools installed, and that there is a truecrypt volume
on the drive, you give them the password to the outer volume, but the
inner volume is really just random noise.  They can't even tell if it
exists or not.  So you can not divulge any hidden volume passwords and
they can never prove that the hidden volume actually exists or not.  Or
you can have multiple hidden volumes.  So you can say, okay, you got me,
here is the password, which unlocks one of the hidden volumes, that
contains plausible stuff.  That way your really private stuff (and there
are good reasons to keep things really private, not just because of
social norms or guilt!), is never revealed. And can never be proven to
exist.