Dan, I'd like to apologize because I wasn't clear enough. Evolution-mapi
and evolution-ews are just plugins for the client to connect to an exchange
server. I was under the impression that you were looking to just replace
the clients, not the server. If you are looking to replace the exchange
server with open source, then I'd recommend a mail stack of Postfix,
Dovecot or some other similar package, and Davmail. That should be what you
need to do email and calendars. I would feel better if someone verified
that though as I've never set up a shared calendaring system.

If you want to look into it more, here is a
link<http://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/265449-escaping-microsoft-exchange-via-davmail-fetchmail-postfix-courier-imap>
a linux.com tutorial about replacing an exchange server.