On Wed, Dec 23, 2015 at 2:28 PM, Jonathan Duncan <
jonat...@bluesunhosting.com> wrote:

> What tools do you use on your desktop for routing? ("route", "linuxconf",
> "iptables")
>
> I am decent with networking, but might not be ready to roll my own router.
> But I would certainly be interested in learning more. Perhaps a PLUG
> meeting on this topic?

Currently I only use iptables with my own custom rules, and occasionally tc
for QoS with a customized script from wonder-shaper.sh or whereever I got
it originally.

In the past I have done some pretty interesting things with iptables, tc,
and route for more advanced setups. There are actually some pretty
interesting optimizations you can do even just within iptables using the
mangle table, CONNMARK, and reorganizing your rules to make things more
performant in cases where it matters.

For simple home use, just a handful of rules between the filter and nat
tables does everything I need, even for bridging to vms--it's not all that
difficult once you get over the learning cliff of the flow. But there's
really good charts for that now.

If you get hardware that openwrt supports they have a decent UI and default
ruleset that let you configure to handle the most common scenarios. I've
yet to be that lucky--to have a common scenario suit me--but a little
tweaking and it's easy enough to make it do just what you want.