1) with progressbar selected for top right, and icons set for top
right, show always, the bar and icons overlap

Yeah, and if the part left of the icon is too long, it will do so, too. :-(

2) with a side vis, the progressbar ends the column before the icons.
It might be nice to have even one pixel separation if possible.

What's the vis?!? I don't understand (and my dictionary does not offer any help).

actually, turning the icons off then back on seems to avoid problem 1,

Thanks might help, thanks!

For the icons selection pulldown, something like "no" or "do not show"
might be more clear than a blank (which barely has any height in
firefox.

This should be simple enough.

--

Michael