spindoctor wrote:
> This means very little to me.
You said " I am a tecchie," so I provided a technical answer.

> Does that mean that depending on the original format of the stream, and
> the type of player I'm using, determines whether extra processing /
> transcoding is required?
The older SB layers (e.g. Boom, Receiverm, Classic, Transporter) cannot
play AAC audio format natively so it has to be trasncoded into a
playable format (by default Flac as no loss).  If you are playing to a
Touch, Radio or Squeezelite AAC which can play AAC natively then no
transcoding will occur at LMS.

AAC is an audio format.  DASH, file, HLS and http are "transport" not
format so transcoding will always if the source is in AAC format. Only
live MP3 stream do not need transcoding.

> Should I be using different streams (e.g. not DASH) and different
> Streaming Preference settings in the plugin config?
You can but DASH offers 320kbps AAC for UK users which is much better
than other formats so setting "DASH > HLS > MP3 > FlashAAC" is best
option.    DASH format also offers "Live" skip back.

> Is there a lowest common denominator for the players that I have?
Doesn't matter if using LMS.  http/mp3 is using mysb.com

> And if the BBC removes these streams, what are my options?  Replace the
> player(s)?
MP3 stream are only of concern if you are using mysb.com - otherwise LMS
will always transcode.

I will up this to a minute and try it out.

Thank you for explaining.   This helps a lot in understanding the
differences with the iPlayer vs. other streams.

I did not, which is why I mentioned that I could not find the BBC
iPlayer menu item, as I could not find the latest links.  I thought it
might be pertinent.
I now have the menu items and have tried these new links.  Still the
same, but I need to try the 1 min delay as mentioned earlier.