rgdawson wrote:
> The squeezelite player software uses the portaudio library to select an
> output device.  If none is selected you get "default" according to
> portaudio.  If you select 'Default' in SLX, then I just don't specify
> the -o squeezelite option, so you get its default.  The portaudio
> library and thus squeezelite's default is not what you have selected as
> your Windows default device. You get a lowest common denominator that is
> not likely to be the best one.  On my machine, choosing Default gets me
> the old MME API, not DirectSound or WASAPI, etc.  So, I recommend that
> you choose the device you want and the API you want rather than choose
> Default.  On my machine, the DirectSound API provides the best quality
> it seems to me.
>
> I'm not sure what it looks like on your machine, but on my machine I see
> an output device called "Primary Sound Driver (Windows DirectSound)".  I
> have been assuming that this is the equivalent of the Primary Sound as
> you have defined it in Windows.  You might try that if your goal is to
> use the primary sound driver you have defined in windows.
>
> R Greg Dawson

I've been thinking more about this...  I'm thinking that SLX should
default it player Output Device to "Primary Sound Driver" instead of
PortAudio's default.  That way, SLX's default behavior would be to use
the sound device you have selected in Windows.  Anyone have any thoughts
on this?

R Greg Dawson

Squeezelite-X