I don’t want to add another piece of hardware just to run LMS. I suspect
like most people they too just want their NAS to run LMS otherwise it
kind of defeats the object of having a central server plus it’s also
another bit of equipment to maintain.

NAS means "Network Attached Storage". Strictly speaking it's not the purpose of a storage device to run all kinds of services :-).

@MHerger - do you see any other solution to enable LMS to keep running
should the Synology CPAN modules become incompatible?

Just keep using it. It's working. Nobody has confirmed it will stop working. So why worry? Let's try to solve the problem when there is a problem.

--

Michael