I would also like to understand, and all this talk makes no sense to me.
I'm pretty sure Perl version has been updated on Synology systems
before, why should next update be different?

I must admit that I was pretty surprised to when I realized that the LMS shipped binaries would _not_ run on Synology. Today I'm running a mix of pinkdot's package and my git clone, replacing important parts in the package with symlinks to the git clone, but leaving CPAN in place...

And what exactly are CPAN modules. Ain't they available for newer
versions of Perl, and why?

It's basically libraries providing some functionality to Perl programs. Most of these libraries are "Pure Perl" (PP), thus platform independent. But some are compiled binaries which need to be provided separately per OS, architecture, and Perl version. Therefore for Synology alone somebody would probably have to compile at least four versions of them.

--

Michael