vhs wrote:
> On Demand shows the programme listings almost immediately but when
> selected one loads in about 20 secs before playing.

They will show instantly - if they have been loaded already.
However programme listings are biggish chunks of data.

> Interestingly other stations e.g. Radio Paradise come through instantly
> and My Music like Random Mix are also instantaneous.
These streams are continuous  a single HTTP GET and megabytes of data
flow.
BBC using DASH and HLS are mulitple http/GET each with 3 secs of audio -
lots of small chunks/files.

The akamai time stamp is a single http/get  and uses basic LMS http
functions - There is nothing special about it yet it fails.

> That's why I'm doubting iPlayer plugin.
Sure but it is the only one playing DASH or HLS streams - so comparison
with other stream is not like for like unless they are also DASH or
HLS.

Do you play any HLS streams ?