bpa wrote:
> The output from the same dig command on my dig  is

Code:
--------------------
  >   >

  > ; <<>> DiG 9.11.3-1ubuntu1.12-Ubuntu <<>> www.bbc.co.uk
  > ;; global options: +cmd
  > ;; Got answer:
  > ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 6, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1
  >
  > ;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
  > ; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 65494
  > ;; QUESTION SECTION:
  > ;www.bbc.co.uk.                 IN      A
  >
  > ;; ANSWER SECTION:
  > www.bbc.co.uk.          300     IN      CNAME   www.bbc.net.uk.
  > www.bbc.net.uk.         299     IN      CNAME
www.bbc.co.uk.europe-west-1.live-live.gtm-edge.e9fb45cfcc47b85b.xhst.bbci.co.uk.

www.bbc.co.uk.europe-west-1.live-live.gtm-edge.e9fb45cfcc47b85b.xhst.bbci.co.uk.
 59 IN CNAME
gtmlivelive-eu-w-1nlbwwwcouk-7c6a1f5915ac19ed.elb.eu-west-1.amazonaws.com.
  > gtmlivelive-eu-w-1nlbwwwcouk-7c6a1f5915ac19ed.elb.eu-west-1.amazonaws.com.
59 IN A 52.209.65.137
  > gtmlivelive-eu-w-1nlbwwwcouk-7c6a1f5915ac19ed.elb.eu-west-1.amazonaws.com.
59 IN A 52.19.49.142
  > gtmlivelive-eu-w-1nlbwwwcouk-7c6a1f5915ac19ed.elb.eu-west-1.amazonaws.com.
59 IN A 34.255.24.34

--------------------

> I don't know DNS details but outputs are different.  It's possible
> your location is a factor (amazon servers) but I think not.  I'm
> assuming you're not using a VPN or other "odd" network services.
>
> You dig has no lookup CNAME details so I'm guessing there is something
> for "bbc" in a config file.
>
> I'm guessing privoxy is set up to handle DNS and so is returning the
> BBC ip address which may be valid for many request but not all.  Other
> possibility is your ISP/DNS server is messing with DNS request.  The
> "https" gets around this substitution.

My ISP is Zen but I normally use 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 as a backup to
dnsmasq.

I am not currently using a VPN (see below) and don't see the additional
gtm/AWS entries in dig queries.  I don't have anything about bbc.co.uk
in local config files for dnsmasq or privoxy.  They are both vanilla
installs with minimal customisation, privoxy config does have some
references to the bbc but that is to expressly allow access.  I have
also run dig using @8.8.8.8 which presumable removes any local s/w from
the equation and get the same result.

I just configured a new raspberry pi, plugged it into my router so
avoiding any possible dnsmasq/privoxy detritious and see the same info
as my previous post, https://pastebin.com/2tH7AX2F

Interestingly I do have a VPN server configured on a DigitalOcean
droplet in Frankfurt - so out of interest I started a Mint VM and saw
the truncated dig response as above, however when I routed this VM
through the VPN I then saw the full dig response as per your post ;) Not
sure what to make of that, a bit outside my knowledge envelope.

EIther way, I guess it's not a BBCiPlayer problem, I shall investigate

Thanks for your help.

paul