I totally agree with you bpa, even if they work currently it’s just a
matter of time until something breaks.

I wish I had the focus and time to be able to continue maintaining the
plugins but to be brutally realistic it’s very unlikely to happen. My
family situation is different today with a small kid in the house and my
music listening behavior has changed significantly to mostly using
streaming services (Spotify) and currently I’ve honestly barely any need
for my plugins myself. It’s hard to let all people down who have used my
plugins and I’ve had some hope to be able to do some minimal
maintenance, but to be realistic this is very unlikely to happen.

Due to all this I’ve also decided to leave my repository files as they
are with maxTarget=7.*.
If some one wants to maintain a separate repository file with
minTarget=8.0.0 pointing at my or your own server feel free to do so,
but in this case please put it under your e-mail/name instead of mine so
people primarily contact you instead of me if they have problem with LMS
8.0 or later.

For people relying on my plugins this means that you have the current

- Stay on LMS 7.* forever. In this case you are probably going to loose
streaming services over time since they tend to change and will probably
stop working on 7.* eventually. Upgrading the OS is obviously very risky
since 7.* is eventually going to stop working on latest OS versions.
This might be an alternative if you are only using local music and have
LMS installed on a computer/device that isn’t used for anything else.

- If you have development skills or is willing to learn, implement new
plugins with similar functionality as mine and support them on LMS 8.0
and later. Based on some discussions in the forum I think there might
already be some work going on in this direction related to ratings and
browsing by custom tags. Alternatively take over maintenance of my
plugins, but I honestly expect this to be harder and more boring. It’s
always easier to maintain code you have written yourself. I had zero
Perl knowledge when I started to implement TrackStat so don’t look at it
as an impossible task just because you haven’t developed in Perl
before.

- Install my plugins manually in 8.0 and enjoy them as long as they
work, but as indicated it’s just a matter of time until something breaks
so you should probably plan for that so your setup doesn’t become
unusable when it happens.

For my personal setup I think the most likely scenario is that I’ll
continue using 7.8 on short terms and switch to 8.* without most of my
plugins installed on longer terms.

I still plan to continue being a member in this community, so this post
doesn’t mean I’ll disappear from the community.

To everyone using my plugins, sorry to let you down but hopefully most
of you will understand. Thanks for all positive feedback you have given
me over the years.

Developer of 'many plugins/applets'
(https://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/User_Erland.html)