chill wrote:
> Thanks mrw.  I do remember your promising post about the DSP filter
> coefficients.  If processing power in the Radio is the issue, then
> tweaking those filter coefficients in the hardware seems like a useful
> alternative.  I'm sure the Radio has an admirably flat response curve,
> but I'm not afraid to admit that I'm not a big fan of a flat response
> curve in all situations! My own personal preference with most audio
> devices is to try and cut the mid range a bit compared to the bass and
> (especially) the high frequency components.  I believe this is called
> the 'Rock Smile' :-)  The Boom and the Radio seem to have the same
> driver units (the bass driver certainly, not sure about the tweeter),
> but to my ears the Boom can be made to sound a lot better, by boosting
> the bass a little and the treble a little more.
>
> I'm not sure what's involved in using Ghidra, but if a Boom would be any
> use to you in seeing what's been done in its DSP then I'll happily
> donate one to the cause - just PM me if you want one of my 'spares
> awaiting refurbishment'.

Thank you for the offer ! At this stage, for me to accept it would be to
promise way too much.
But your post is a timely reminder that just because I think the Radio
may lack the power to do much more doesn't mean that it can't...

It is worth looking over the possibilities already available, I'm sure
life has moved on in the open source world since the Radio firmware was
made. I'll look at the pCP offering. And I think @ralphy might have been
thinking in that direction.

As I don't have a Boom, can you point me at a manual that describes the
treble/bass settings available ?

In the meantime, I'll practice my "Rock Smile". A new term to me,
opinions seem to differ. :) But I think in reality it may no more or
less than what used to be called a "Contour" control. Or do I mean
"Tilt" ?

But perhaps a small project for the hardware...