chill wrote:
>  I'd really appreciate a basic tone control - maybe something like the
> 'treble/bass' settings in the Boom.  Or better still, the ALSA 10 band
> Equalizer available under pCP.  Are either of those possible?  Have the
> various obsolete features that have been removed created enough space to
> do something on those lines?  Even if there's no UI on the Radio itself
> to control the settings (i.e. LMS or SSH configuration only), it would
> still be worth having in my opinion.

I suspect that space is not the issue, but processing power may be.

The Radio's hardware chip does provide for some basic DSP, and it is not
used. There is a preconfigured (closed source) software DSP component in
the Radio's ALSA chain, which is rather betterer that that, and is
probably responsible for the quality of the sound output.

I have contemplated the idea of implementing a basic 'bass cut' filter
on the hardware chip to quell the occasional sense of "baritone boom"
that I hear. Or perhaps one might want a step/baffle type filter to deal
with being placed close to a wall. But UI becomes an issue, and I am no
audio engineer, so I don't know what curves one might want.

I did suss out the DSP filtering actually in use:
https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?111663-Community-Build-Radio-Firmware&p=966771&viewfull=1#post966771

Perhaps, one day, it could be reimplemented along the lines you suggest.
I don't have a Boom, but one of its features is, I think, to
automatically extend bass response when volume levels allow. The Radio
clearly owes much to the Boom in its audio design, but that feature was
not included. It might be nice to have. There again, the risk of
overloading the bass driver must increase !