erland wrote:
> I haven’t actually used any later LMS than LMS 7.8 so I should probably
> not answer this, but to my knowledge LMS has built-in support to
> internally store ratings and to notify third party interfaces (Material
> skin, iPeng and similar) the rating of currently playing track. I think
> LMS standard is able to show rating to users but I don’t think it makes
> it possible for a user to set ratings without a third party plugin/app
> for this.
I think Erland is right. That's how it is right now. I have noticed
though that since LMS v8+ the rating value and some other statistics
(play count, date last played) appear as text info in the track's
context menu. BTW RatingRating Lights is also about importing ratings
into LMS (via comment tag keywords) and exporting rated tracks to
playlists. The import function is actually why I wrote the plugin in the
first place.

@flipflip: I don't think you have to reinvent the wheel. The easiest and
most comfortable solution (incl. existing UI settings) I can think of is
Peter Watkins' plugin *KidsPlay*. It lets you map CLI commands and even
entire macros to (preset) keys and IR keys (JVC).
I don't think it supports the standard Slimdevices remotes yet but you
could ask him. This way you could control just about *any* plugin that
supports CLI commands (incl. Ratings Lights).
I've been using KidsPlay for a long time with the Boom preset keys. It's
quite powerful.