I have made some changes to be included in version 4.0 that add support
for muting and unmuting the AVR in response to a client "mixer muting"
command, as well as a backdoor way to mute it manually via your phone's
hardware which, in light of the upcoming holiday, I'll call an 'easter
egg'. ;-)  This is probably as good a place as any to express an opinion
of mine (one of many) to users of the plugin: You should ALWAYS set the
LMS "Player->Audio->Volume Control" setting to "Output level is fixed at
100%" for any player that is using the plugin. This setting results, as
you might guess, in a fixed output level coming from the player,
preventing volume change requests (including muting) from altering the
digital signal in the analog domain and thereby ensuring the integrity
of the bitstream on its journey to your AVR, whether it be via HDMI or
an outboard D/A converter. The goal here is what audiophiles call
"bit-perfect" sound -- i.e. preserving the signal, bit for bit, that is
encoded in the (hopefully lossless) digital music file.  NOT having this
setting activated results in every volume change (including muting)
being done essentially twice -- once by the LMS player
(digital->analog->digital) and again by the AVR. Anyway, getting back to
the plugin changes, there unfortunately are very few client apps that
currently contain support for muting. However, based on recent
discussions with some of the client developers, I expect that to change
in the near future. The ones I know of now, and the conditions under
which the mute command is generated, are as follows:

Squeezelite-X:  This powerful Windows app, which is a free download from
the Microsoft Store, is essentially a clone of the LMS browser client
with a configurable skin and a method to add your own commands to a Menu
tab in the app. Included with the app are a set of default commands
which include "Mute/Unmute player". Muting/unmuting a player which has
the Denon plugin installed should result in the AVR being muted/unmuted.
If you have your LMS "Player->Audio->Volume Control" set to "Volume
control adjusts outputs" (which you don't, right?), then the signal will
be muted/unmuted both in the LMS player via software and via the AVR
mute.

Squeeze Ctrl (Android):  I just installed this app to test its support
for muting and I must say that I'm impressed. While there is no explicit
"mute/unmute" support, it does have an option to automatically either
pause the player or mute it when a phone call is made or received, and
it works great with the new plugin mute functionality. One thing to be
aware of, though, is that when the app is first installed and you try to
change the player volume, you will get a popup message saying something
like "Output volume is fixed" and no volume change. That's right. This
client is smart enough to know that you have set "Output level is fixed
at 100%" on your player and assumes (for some reason) that you don't
want to change the volume from the client. No problem. Just go into
"Preferences->Controls->Volume Options" and check the box that says,
rather cryptically, "Fixed Volume Send Command" and you're good to go.

That's pretty much it right now but, as I said, other app developers
have indicated that they will be implementing mute/unmute support in
upcoming releases.

Now for the 'easter egg'. It's really quite simple and should work on
any phone app, whether Android or ioS. While you're on any screen where
the client app's hardware volume buttons are active, simply press both
the "volume up" and "volume down" buttons within .25 seconds of each
other, preferably simultaneously, and your AVR should mute. To unmute,
simply change the volume in any way, whether through the hardware
buttons or otherwise. Pretty cool, huh? Well I think it is anyway. And I
also find it quite useful, at least until the client developers start
supporting the function explicitly.

For those of you that have not been following the 4.0 beta effort, the
changes included in the two attached modules also implement full support
for the Quick Select command in zones 2-4. And for those who helped in
testing those changes, you'll be happy to hear that these muting changes
are also supported in all zones.

Happy holidays and happy testing!

|Filename: Plugin.pm                                                |
|Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=34050|

Sam