After the import I used to refresh my virtual libraries and title
formats and clear the display cache.
It seems that this is not something I can do or kick off in the
importer.pm. Those scanner limitations you mentioned, maybe?

Whether code is in Importer.pm or some other file isn't important, as long as a feature is available in the context it's running: in the scanner you don't have the web server, no display cache etc., that's only available in the server.

So I thought maybe I need to subscribe to "rescan" "done" in plugin.pm
and handle it there.

Sounds reasonable, yes.

But it turns out the *refresh function tied to rescan done is called
_twice_* after a scan.

Your own refresh function? Is refreshAll() called twice or the callback for the rescan done event?