rgdawson wrote:
> As far as I know there is no way to maintain audio through display over
> HDMI/DisplayPort if the display goes to sleep (no video signal, no
> clock, no audio).
>
> Also, when the monitor goes to sleep, then that output device no longer
> exists.  Generally, the squeezelite player will have a problem with this
> and will/may abort.  SLX is designed to detect when squeezelite aborts
> and will attempt to restart it.  If/When it sees the selected output
> device is not present you'll get an error message and see the settings
> screen where you can select a valid output device.
>
> To avoid these problems, I generally don't route my audio through the
> monitor over HDMI/DisplayPort (if I can help it).
>
> Secondly, I choose "Primary Sound Driver" as my Output Device and in
> Windows I configure the default audio device to be what I want.  This
> keeps squeezelite happy because it always has a valid output device no
> matter what and the Primary Sound device driver will switch to another
> audio device is the default disappears and hopefully back when it
> reappears.
>
> R Greg Dawson

Thanks for the swift answer, "Primary Sound Driver" does as you suggest,
which is nice.
Small problem though as using that driver sync with another player (a
picoreplayer based build) is not good .

Better than is disappearing altogether.

I'm trying the Displayport option as I have just got a laptop that
connects to the monitor and charges with USB C - this puts the sound
from whatever device I'm using through my speakers.
Tom