erland wrote:
> I haven’t read the whole thread, so I’ll apologize in advance if I’ve
> misunderstood something in this situation. This post is not directed
> towards you in personal, it’s directed towards anyone that don’t like
> that a new developer tries to continue maintenance of an abandoned
> plugin.
>
> Overriding an unsupported plugin should definitely be allowed in my
> opinion. If we didn’t allow this we would get a plugin inflation every
> time a developer stops maintaining a plugin and someone else wants to
> take over. People that prefer to use an unsupported version will have to
> manually download and install that and they would have to accept a more
> complicated installation process IMHO.
>
> I understand why afriend plans to pull his version from the main repo to
> avoid the criticism on the forum but I think this is really unfortunate,
> it would be a lot better to keep it in the main repo so people can
> easily install the supported version (afriend’s one) if they are usin
> LMS 7.9 or later. I’ve never tested or officially supported any of my
> plugins on a LMS version later than 7.8, if they work on later LMS
> versions it’s just pure luck and a matter of time until something
> breaks.
>
> I’d personally prefer if afriend keeps his plugin in the main repo to
> make it easy to install for people that wants a supported version and if
> he wants to make it easy for people to install my unsupported version
> changing the plugin name to DynamicPlayList3 in repo will probably
> probably allow that. I’m not sure if he would also have to change the
> plugin directory name to DynamicPlayList3 to make it work properly,
> which would make it a little bit more work. However, in my personal
> opinion he can just keep the name as it is and refer the people that
> wants my unsupported version to manual installation (recommended) or
> downgrading LMS to 7.8 (not recommended). If people wants to know how to
> manually install an unsupported plugin they should ask someone else in
> the community, the new developer should not have to spend time
> instructing people how to install someone else plugin IMHO.
>
> Having said all this, I think it’s sad that people criticize people
> (like afriend) that spend time for free to try make functionality
> survive that have been abandoned by previous developers (like me). We
> should encourage people that try to ensure as much functionality as
> possible survives when the original plugin developer has abandoned a
> plugin. We should also keep in mind that all plugin developers offers
> their spare time for free to do this for us. If we don’t do our best to
> encourage them in all possible ways we are soon going to end up without
> any plugin developers and that will be an early step towards the death
> of the LMS community.

Dear Erland,

Thank you for your contribution.

First of all I would like to thank all the developers for what they
provide to the community. This is a priceless contribution to all of
us.

Having said that I have some concern about this topic even if I am new
here.

First of all I would like to understand the difference between
deprecated and unsupported.
You are stating that Dynamic Playlist V2 is unsupported while @Afriend
is stating that the same library is deprecated. In the world of software
development, "deprecated" refers to functions or elements that are
_in_the_process_of_being_replaced_ by newer ones. While deprecated items
may work in the current version of a programming language, they may not
function in future updates. I can survive with unsupported plugins as
far as they are not preventing usability.

As far as I remember DPL V3 release notes doesn't mention nor any
deprecated functions (at least at very beginning) neither warning of
possible impacts on other related plugins, so when installed I (and some
other user) was expecting backward compatibility.
_Unfortunately_V3_prevents_CustomSkip_(for_sure)_and_MultiLibrary_(maybe)_plugins_to_work_properly_.
Some users, including me, have made specific setup based on the above
mentioned plugins and happy to stay stable on those setup.

Now the question is: should I expect Afriend DPL V3 plugin to be a new
plugin, based on DPL V2, with its own roadmap, so that I can remain with
my current setup, or should I start investigating how to replace DPL V2,
MultiLibrary and CustomSkip? The latter is not effortless.

Thank you in advance for the clarification.

My best wishes.
Marco