Yeah, the Basic auth details for the proxy, when it doesn't need it,
just drops through in the headers to the native HTTP interface and hence
the UI works for me.

In my case using a 3rd party proxy would still NOT work as I am not
removing LMS password protection. I have "real" players outside my home
and they cannot support HTTPS anyway, so the most basic clear text auth
is better than none. The username / password are not shared with any
other platform I use so it doesn't matter if they are intercepted -
someone can potentially screw up my LMS configs but that's about it,
although there will be holes in the server or plugins for the
determined.

I am going to see if I can using nginx to proxy with hardwired auth to
/stream.mp3 or see if LMS can somehow unprotect just that endpoint as a
test hack - but the former would not work for your skill I assum as the
endpoint is derived from the LMS servers own knowledge of it's IP and
fixed port and so can't be redirected to a munging proxy solution :)

One potential simplification, if you are willing to change your code, is
to pass the *same* auth details as for the proxy in the URL in the
playlist, like you show, which would have no effect on an unprotected
endpoint but could act as a workaround for those like me (sample size
obviously one for now) that want to support a Frankenstein like hybrid
environment.