Thanks for your reply, Michael. It is reassuring to hear that FreeNAS'
version shouldn't be the problem.

I left for work after writing the last post, so was not able to kill cp
until I got home. I found, however that it had stopped on its own and
Firefox had finally loaded the services_slimserver.php page. That page
was giving the error about not having SqueezeCenter installed AND an
error that there was no valid version of SqueezeCenter in the
/mnt/Share/slimnas directory. I took a look and found that in fact the
whole slimnas directory was gone. poof!

I wasn't able to look in the squeezecenter directory to see if the
never-ending directory nesting had occurred this time, but I had
noticed that the first time I tried this install, so I expect that had
happened...

I then restarted FreeNAS and now services_slimserver.php returns a 404.
Mysterious!

I am relatively comfortable on the command line and actually had
executed slimnas-install.sh over ssh the second time that I tried this.
If there is more that I should do, please describe and I will do my best
to follow. I wonder whether something odd is happening with
permissions.

Anyway, thanks for your willingnes to help!

--
benshead