Gharris999, all,

Did you notice the nice progress on alarms for SB2/SB3 recently ? With
SB firmware 113 there is now a backup alarm (a buzzer sound) that
replaces the alarm sound if it is not available. The thing seems clever
enough to fire off when a file is not available (e.g. local
favorite/playlist alarm and player switched to SN), and even when an
Internet radio stream times out.
Me thinks that's very neat; I had almost finished a "safe alarm"
feature, which replaced for each player the next alarm sound with an SN
"loop:" sound before server sleep, for the same purpose. When the server
was back from sleep before alarm time, it tried swapping back the
original sound. Kind of cozy but complex, potentially messy with users
preferences, hard to debug, and no replacement for the backup alarm
anyway since a loop sound might fail too. So I dropped the project
altogether.

There is one common case where the backup alarm will not start, AFAIK:
when the server fails to wake and the players are not switched to SN.
On an SB, that's the blank display scenario. I guess the SB hardware
doesn't have an internal clock to check against alarm time.

This drives me to think anyone using alarms on an SB2/SB3 will want
switching to SN before going to sleep (and possibly sleeping the
server). But then, backup alarm buzzer will be on the menu every
morning when using a local playlist, unless using radio (or MP3 music
locker ?)
So I think a "switch back to SC" feature could be nice. I have
implemented this in a very crude and rude fashion: the waking up server
switches back the players as soon as possible. In the event you're awake
before alarm time and started listening to SN, the player(s) will
suddenly drop to SC and play the alarm after a little while...

But a touch of tact is possible, with SN's  'Netcontrol'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Netcontrol) feature. The wiki
page is not complete or accurate I think, but directly on SN, using
Firefox (Safari will hide the XML page) and one of my players SN ID, I
could see its current status. Then it is simply a matter of not
switching back when the page includes
"<playmode>playout-play</playmode>" or when too close from alarm time.

I am waaay behind schedule so I won't try to implement this right now
myself, but maybe you'll be interested.

--
epoch1970