chenghs;403493 Wrote:
> 1. Interesting enough, I have been goolging this for a while. Looks like
> there is no power management features built into Ubuntu sever since
> people believe server should be up and running 7x24. So not sure
> whether gnome GUI would work.
>
> 2. If I do install the SC on my U server and run the plugin although I
> don't have any slim devices in my home. How will the server perform?
> Let's say: if I watch a video from my laptop (the video file is located
> on the server), will the server sleep since there is no slim devices in
> the network? I am trying to get a sense of the rules you use to put
> server into sleep.
>
> Million thanks for your generous help,
>
> Sean
SrvrPowerCtrl won't work for you for your purposes.  Basically, it's
job is to put the server to sleep when SqueezeCenter isn't playing
content to a slim device, after a suitable idle period.  So, no
SqueezeCenter, no slim devices players, no SrvrPowerCtrl.

Many folks have accomplished exactly what you want to do with other
sorts of scripts.  You could start by looking at this post:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=313317#post313317

Syburgh's python script could be modified so that it looks for other
sorts of "activity" on your system...network activity, etc..,
determines idle conditions accordingly and thus set power states.

--
gharris999