sb11,
perhaps you can look for a script named button.sh or something like
this in /etc/acpid/events/
This script is called by acpid when you press on the button; I suppose
the script does something different than the command you've defined for
srvPowerControl. (I have no computer installed with acpid, so I can't be
much more precise.)

Do you need to run the graphical user interface (Xorg), and your gnome
desktop on top of that, at all times? If not, you need to alter the
"runlevel" settings in Ubuntu to stay in text mode until you start the
GUI with "sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start". Not running Xorg+Gnome will save
you *a lot* of RAM.
Altering runlevels : 'a thread on ubuntu forums'
(http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=873987), among plenty others.
Personally I never could figure out using the "update-initrd" command
which is the ubuntu way of changing a runlevel. I do as one in the
ubuntu  thread suggests (message #9) : edit files (links in fact) in
the /etc/rc?.d/ directories manually.

--
epoch1970