I think your controller should find the server. Perhaps it wont if you
were on SN and hibernated the server ?
Anyway there is a wol applet for the SBC than can cure the problem.
Look for it in the wiki (or search this forum thread. The author is
Thomas Houlberg.)

As for integration; you could read the 10 messages above, they discuss
the problem (or some aspects). There is one main issue, technicalities
set aside: if you have 2 programs trying to shutdown/reboot/hibernate
the machine, confusion will ensue.
I think srvPowerControl is quite flexible; personally I have already
set it up in a way it handles user power management requests from the IR
remote (or controller) and then simply drops a flag in the filesystem
instead of really doing the action. Then I have an external program that
finds the flag and executes an action, if the time is right according to
other parameters.
My external program also blocks srvpowercontrol actions when the time
is definitely not right to get any outside input (like being already in
the process of rebooting)

--
epoch1970