autopilot;447872 Wrote:
> Thanks, yes i realise the SB3 is not a clock and has no RTC like the
> boom, that was a badly worded example. What i mean is it will wake the
> server when it tries to contact the server for -anything-. If i switch
> the SB3 to SN, then probably not. Then I would still have to set all my
> players to SN at the same time, but even then other devices on my
> network can cause it to wake if i set "Only allow management stations to
> wake this computer", such as my laptop (as soon as i turn it on scanning
> for network drives etc will wake it). Basically any packet whatsoever
> destined for my server IP will. So it's not really an option for me, i
> also need to limit to magic packets too.
>
> Thanks for the heads up on wolcmd.exe, i will take a look :)
>
> Anyway, sorry for going OT...
You're perfectly on topic, as far as I'm concerned.

<rant>There are WAY too many services these days that push packets at
the local subnet's broadcast address...and will thus wake a NIC
configured for permissive wakeup. E.G.: I've been using Windows Live
OneCare on a laptop.  It sill tries to get status updates from computers
it "saw" over a year ago on networks I visited when traveling in other
cities. I've had to program my router's firewall to filter out those
junk packets from going out onto the internet.  And there seems to be no
easy way to tell OneCare to 'forget' those IP addresses.  Stupid, stupid
design.  Thankfully, that product will die a well deserved death in a
month or so when MS launches Security Essentials.</rant>

--
gharris999