adonishong;571487 Wrote:
> However, does it possible to do us a favor to add the function of
> "browse by folder" in the near future?

This is on the "To Do" list.

Also on the "To Do" list is "Browse Album by Alphabet" and "Browse
Artist by Alphabet" because when you have (say) 600 Albums, the content
directory can take far too long to load. (Depends on whether your
particular control point tries to download the whole content directory
in one go, or whether it tries to download page by page...)

adonishong;571487 Wrote:
> BTW, under transcode situation, what is the compress paramter r u using?
> Does it possible to make it configurable in the server panal?

In the UPnP Media Architecture, the Server (in this case Whitebear)
must "offer" a list of all the music formats that it is able to
deliver. And the Client selects from the "offered" list, the format
that it wants to have delivered.

By law in the UPnP/DLNA Specifications, a Server must offer LPCM as an
absolute minimum. Whitebear offers the basic minimum LPCM, plus WAV,
MP3 and FLAC formats; and in this offer it also indicates which of
those formats are "native" and which are transcoded.

Now -- depending on the client you are using -- it is possible that the
client says to itself "LPCM is uncompressed audio, so it must be good"
and it therefore asks Whitebear to deliver the media in LPCM format
(the basic standard). This can lead to the odd consequence that
Whitebear is required to deliver an LPCM up-converted version of an
originally compressed music file. Obviously such up conversion of a
compressed audio file is a complete waste of time and band- width. But
if the client asks for LPCM then Whitebear will deliver it ("the
client/customer is always right")...

Examples:

In your example case of APE files, the situation is as follows:

A1) Whitebear offers the following formats:
1) APE Trancoded to LPCM (must offer)
2) APE Trancoded to WAV
3) APE Trancoded to FLAC
4) APE Trancoded to MP3

B1) Your client asks for (1) => so the APE file is up-converted to LPCM
(with the consequent high bit-rate)

In the example case of MP3 files, the situation is as follows:

A2) Whitebear offers the following formats:
1) Native MP3
2) MP3 Trancoded to LPCM (must offer)
3) MP3 Trancoded to WAV
4) MP3 Trancoded to FLAC

B2) Your client asks for (1) => so the MP3 file is delivered in native
MP3 (with the consequent low bit-rate)

adonishong;571487 Wrote:
> When browse by "album", all the files under "No Album" generates
> 120-140K Bytes Per Second send rate. However, if the APE file could be
> browsed by the album name of itself,  the send Bytes rate only 29K
> Bytes Per Second, around 240Kbps, seems like "transcode" function works
> under this case.

Sorry, but I did not really understand what you are saying here. Can
you please re-phrase it?

--
AndrewFG

Regards,