varunaX;581155 Wrote:
> hey gharris, can you help me better understand the wake 5 mins before an
> alarm feature.  on my laptop when i close the screen the laptop sleeps.
> i have the option to wwake the computer before an alarm, but its not
> waking the computer.  is there something im missing?  i have the
> svpowertool.exe installed too.  thanks

If you put your laptop to sleep via closing the lid, SrvrPowerCtrl
never "gets the memo" that the system is going to sleep.  If your OS on
the laptop is windows, there may be something we can do about that in
the future.  But for now, use SrvrPowerCtrl's web menu to sleep the
laptop.  If you do that, the wake for alarm feature should work.

If it still won't wake for alarms, and if the OS on the laptop is
Windows 7, then there is a system setting you need to change.  With
administrative credentials, go to the Windows 7 Control Panel->Power
Options->Edit Plan Settings->Change advanced power settings->Change
settings that are currently unavailable->Sleep->Allow wake
timers->Plugged in->Enable & On battery->Enable.

Making those changes allows SCPowerTool.exe to wake up the laptop.  As
far as I know, defaulting defaulting disabled wake timers when plugged
in is new with Windows 7.

Now, if your OS is something other then Windows 7, then we've got a
little more spelunking to do.

But please wait a few days before we continue this.  I'm just about to
fly back from Europe and I always have really wicked jet lag since it's
about 24 hours of travel time to get back to my home in the sticks.

--
gharris999