SamS;623456 Wrote:

> iPeng is great... especially the in-app purchase player feature.  My
> only gripe is that I cannot get decent sound quality from it streaming
> over 3G.  I understand the app is limited to 128kpbs from Apple, but
> that bit-rate should not introduce as many artifacts that I'm hearing.
> What I hear over 3G sounds more like 64kpbs.
>
> I have tried adjusting the bit-rate limiting all the way to 320kpbs in
> SBS, and moving the LAME decoding priority to ~4.  My SBS is run on a
> low-CPU-power Sheeveplug, not sure if that is the problem.

It may be the reason.
Adjusting the bitrate limiting manually won't help, iPeng sets that to
128kbps itself (OK, it would help if you changed it after starting the
playback because iPeng only sets the limit when playback starts...)
The lame quality _should_ have an effect though. I would also try to
find out whether it's maybe not the ENCODING that's causing the problem
on the SheevaPlug but the DECODING. You can find out by locally
connectiong and setting native mp3 playback to "disabled" in
"Settings->Advanced->File Formats" on the server. In that case the
server will decode the mp3 files and send FLAC to the player instead.
If this causes trouble it's the decoder and I would try to find out
what the SheevaPlug uses to decode mp3 and whether it can be tweaked.
Generally, transcoding from one lossy format/bitrate to another one is
about the worst thing you can do.

I'll try to add a few more options around that in an upcoming version
but don't know whether it will sneak past Apple. A lot of things do:
just got an advertising proposal by a big German computer magazine
who's asking to do doing stuff Apple tells me is explicitly prohibited.
And they've been doing it for at least several issues now.
But sometimes they start to complain at the second or so release as was
the case with the original "iPeng for iPad" name. It was accepted for
the first release and rejected for the second one so I had to change it
to iPeng HD.

--
pippin

---
see iPeng, the Squeezebox iPhone remote and
*New: iPeng for iPad*, at penguinlovesmusic.com