andynormancx;629676 Wrote:
> Because, to be frank, although you say you are 90% sure Norton is at
> fault, you really can have no idea whether that is the case until you
> uninstall it. Everything else is just guessing at what the cause is I'm
> afraid.
>
> Also, it has been a long time since I installed Norton*, but I seem to
> remember it used to have a modular install, so maybe you can avoid
> installing the bit that scans every network stream for nastiness.
>
> * haven't used it for many years, stopped using it because it slowed
> machines down so much if you were a software developer constantly
> creating new .exe files

Well, you were right and I was totally wrong.  I had thought that your
comment on delays occurring early on meant it must be a problem on my
own PC, and did not see what else it could be.  Having seen the
flac.exe I/O counts go up and down in sync with playing the source I
could not see what else could be happening other than Norton buffering
the output.

I uninstalled all security software.  No change.  I Re-installed it.
No change.

I thought to look at the network traffic using the Windows Task
Manager.  Sure enough, when I start the source, network traffic though
my PC network card goes up almost instantaneously, but nothing comes of
the Touch for delays between 10 sec to 2 minutes.  When I stop the
source, network traffic stops almost immediately, but sound still comes
out of the Touch.

So, either the Touch itself is buffering a lot for some reason, or the
stream is going elsewhere and coming back later.

I'm on Ethernet, not wireless.  I will later try disconnecting myself
from the outside world just to make sure I'm not sending Mahler to MI5
(I need to get others off the 'net first).  I have a suspicion that
some scrobbling may have been occurring.  I never looked at this,
having zero interest in it, but I did find it on in the Touch (I've
never touched it as far as I'm aware).

Are there other buffering options in the Touch?  I can't find any.

--
PasTim