PasTim;635451 Wrote:

> rrand may have a less than perfect network, but it isn't obvious to me
> why it only affects wavin. No matter, if improving the network fixes
> it, then fine.

Less than perfect in Ethernet is unacceptable.  A 1% or 2% packet loss
can cause catastrophic issues due to exponential back-off / retries.

Such problems would typically be experienced by users, for example, on
web page loads that hang while other network traffic appears to be
fine.  Users will Stop the page load, hit refresh, and notice it loads
w/out issue the next time.

(btw. PasTim, I've written a number of high-performance NIC drivers for
*nix systems, and understand how link partners negotiate.).

--
MrC