Last night I thought I would give it another go and I tried connecting
the laptop by wire again. I ended up screwing everything up so bad I
got blue screen of death errors every time I logged in after about a
minute of use. I tried going back to a restore point which failed which
caused me to not be able to log into Windows at all. Today I downloaded
a Windows 7 disk and did a system restore from there and now I'm back
up again.

I'm a little hesitant to try connecting by wire again on this computer.
I had to reinstall SBS after the system restore so I installed 7.5.4.

I don't know if, like you said, the router is dying or not. But it
shouldn't be because it's brand new.

--
rrand