Yes I first found the issue with BBCiPlayer. But of course it also
happens when playing tracks from a local library on an external drive.

Interestingly, the latest version of Get iPlayer Automator specifically
states that on ML it prevents sleep while downloading.

As for ReallyPreventStandby, I have now followed up my earlier posts,
and have a shell script to prevent standby and one to permit standby
once the SB is idle. I haven't fully checked with Activity Monitor or
the like, but I don't think my inhibit standby script does repeatedly
spawn a process. The trick is, yo check whether a process (my Dummy
application) is already running, and to do nothing if it is.