nonnoroger wrote:
> It is a simple change to the plugin that you can make for yourself once
> it is installed. See next post for the modification. But let me clarify
> once again. ReallyPreventStandby still relies on polling every 60
> seconds. There is an almost inevitable race condition that depends on
> the precise timing of asynchronous events that leads in my testing to
> the Mac occasionally going back to sleep after WOL before caffeinate has
> set the power assertion. For similar reasons, it sometimes goes back to
> sleep too early - ignoring the set grace period in the settings of
> Really PreventStandby. I asked if others wanted to try it nevertheless
> so we could get an idea of just how often this happens in practice.
>

> Sorry but again I seem to have failed to help you understand my point.
> It is not an issue with WOL in general but with WOL from a Squeezebox
> when ReallyPreventStandby is polling every 60 seconds. Hopefully, other
> applications that use WOL will do what is necessary themselves. The
> nature of the race condition will no doubt change depending on how many
> cores the processor has. I run LMS on a late 2009 Mac Mini.
>

> It is not just a question of neatness. It is only with LMS creating and
> releasing its own power assertions that we will be able to reliably
> avoid the race conditions explained above.
>

> Of course, I too would like Caffeine or something like it to work
> reliably again (I have had no response from the developers). But that is
> a different solution to a different problem

I felt some of your earlier posts implied that you did not like the idea
of Caffeine. It seems I was wrong. I have also written to the developer
with no reply as yet.

I understand about the possibility of a race. What I do not understand
is why, after WOL has woken up a Mac, it would ever go to sleep before
the idle period as set in Energy Saver. If it stayed awake that long,
RPS would always win the race. That's why I was suggesting trying what
happens with WOL in other situations. I note that a Google search does
reveal some issues with WOL, for instance
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3735289?start=0&tstart=0.

When I have a bit of time, I'll follow your instructions on reworking
RPS, much neater than mine.