Triode wrote:
> Well this is a feature of CPAN's Proc::Background then which is used to
> start background processes for the server - this has the following code
> in it:
>
> sub _die {
> my $self = shift;
>
> # Try to kill the process with different signals.  Calling alive()
> will
> # collect the exit status of the program.
> SIGNAL: {
> foreach my $signal (qw(HUP QUIT INT KILL)) {
> my $count = 5;
> while ($count and $self->alive) {
> --$count;
> kill($signal, $self->{_os_obj});
> last SIGNAL unless $self->alive;
> sleep 1;
> }
> }
> }
> }
>
> This is part of the server distribution, all I am doing is using that
> module.  I do trap HUP in spotifyd so that the process does not end if
> the terminal session which started it ends, which seems reasonable.
> However the use of QUIT to kill something before trying INT is contary
> to what you are saying...  I've just checked the latest version of that
> module on CPAN and that code remains the same.

That's it then - they have the order wrong. I will not have been the
only one silently witnessing core dumps.

Could I ask that for the next release you either catch SIGQUIT and just
exit (or you could catch, ignore, and wait for the INT). Or else alter
the order in the version you use. Should I be able to locate where _die
is defined in the mean time? I could not find it when I looked before.

Very glad it is nothing more serious.

Many thanks.