Furry wrote:
> I've just installed SB Player and Squeeze Control on both my Nexus 4
> phone and Nexus 7 tablet.
>
> When I press the Chromecast button, the TV displays whichever station or
> whatever that I'm listening to, but not the 'squeezebox' menu screen.
>
> Also, the sound does not get 'cast'; it still comes from the 'phone or
> tablet.
>
> Am I being dense, or are these intended modes of operation?
>
> Edit: I've found that, while the Chromecast button within the app
> doesn't do what I'd expected, if I Chromecast the screen from the
> Android settings screen, then I do see what I expected on the TV - and
> the sound is also 'casted.
>
> TIA

Yes that is how the Chromecast button in Squeeze Control is intended to
work.  Squeeze Control does not have audio output, it's just a remote
control, and that's where the button is located.  It also doesn't show
the menu because there's no way to interact with it on the TV so there's
no point in showing it. I guess showing a playlist would be useful, but
I prefer a simpler design.

Chromecast is not really built to play media directly from the device
and while it is possible to get SB Player cast sound directly to the TV,
none of the methods of doing so is really ideal and worth the trouble.
The ideal method to get squeezebox music to the Chromecast would be to
build a software player to run directly on the Chromecast, but that's
not possible given the limitations of the Chromecast.

When you use cast from the Android settings screen, you're mirroring
your device to the TV, so everything goes through.  It's basically like
using a remote desktop program from your TV, except you can't interact
with it.