I'm pretty sure that's an issue with the plugin.
The artist mix works for me, if it doesn't, it means the server doesn't
answer in time (30s). I do see some inconsistent behavior here, too,
though. For example the menu only has a "play" command whenever the mix
is not yet playing - in this code it would also be blocked if you've got
Party Mode enabled.
While the artist mix is playing you can also use "Add" or "Play next".
Maybe that's to change the artist or modify the mix.

I can sometimes reproduce the issue with selecting track x and playing
from track 1, sometimes it works. I have no idea why that is but iPeng
does send the correct command, it's also the same one in the cases when
it works and when it doesn't.

---
learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox
and
Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
at penguinlovesmusic.com
*New: iPeng 8, the Universal App for iOS 7 and iOS 8*