arthurb wrote:

> starting with the folder specifications: what do they mean?

It will only look at folders within the Music folder which you have
configured in LMS Settings/Basic tab, the Multi Library library will be
a subset of all music within the folder you have configured in LMS
Settings/Basic tab.

The "Included Directory x" parameters will help you specify that any
files within any of these directories should be included in the
library.
The "Excluded Directory x" parameters will help you specify that the
files in these directories should not be included.

So as an example, if you specify:
Included Directory 1: /mnt/music/folder1
Included Directory 2: /mnt/music/folder2
Excluded Directory 1: /mnt/music/folder1/subfolder1

It means that all music in /mnt/music/folder2 will be included and also
all music in /mnt/music/folder1 besides the file inside
/mnt/music/folder1/subfolder1

Another example is if you only define:
Excluded Directory 1: /mnt/music/folder1
This means that all music in the folder specified in LMS Settings/Basic
will be included except the files inside the /mnt/music/folder1
directory.

arthurb wrote:

> Further to that, what is the purpose of the Only Include and Exclude
> tracks by Artists boxes: it seems that one cannot do anything with them,
> certainly not clear them, and there is no 'ignore this feature' tick
> box. Am I alone in finding this definition page extremely confusing?

If you don't select any artists it means that the library won't be
affected.
If you select some artists in the "Only include tracks for selected
artists" list, it means that ONLY music from artists which have been
selected will be included.
If you select some artists in the "Exclude tracks for selected artists"
list, it means that all artists except the ones which have been selected
will be included.

You can unselect an artist by holding Ctrl when clicking it.

Genres checkboxes works the same as the artists list.

Generally, if you leave all parameters at the default you will get a
library with your whole music library but if you check/select/specify
parameters the library will be more restricted in which files it
includes.

(Developer of 'many plugins/applets (both free and commercial)'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/User:Erland).
If you like to encourage future presence on this forum and/or third
party plugin/applet development, 'consider purchasing some plugins'
(http://license.isaksson.info))

*Interested in the future of music streaming ? 'ickStream -  A world of
music at your fingertips'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?98467-Pre-Announcement-ickStream&p=743516)*.